The highlights from the Orchard Insights Social Media Survey are:
• 95% of respondents use YouTube, making it the most-used platform in Guernsey. Businesses should create video content to reach their audience.
• 71% of those surveyed are more likely to buy a product or service if they have seen a positive recommendation on social media. However, 81% don’t feel influenced by local organisations or individuals. There is a gap in the market for local influencers to work with brands to engage islanders.
• 69% of respondents use LinkedIn, but only 47% of these are actively posting content. Training can empower professionals to build more effective networks.
• 96% of 16-34 year olds are using Instagram and 81% of 35-64 year olds are also on the platform. Businesses can use Instagram to reach an engaged broad audience.
• 26% of people surveyed use TikTok. Brands should join the platform to reach the Gen Z audience.
Orchard delivers public relations campaigns in Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man, and its Managing Director (Client Services), Brooke Kenyon, said that social media is a huge part of the modern communications toolkit, but it isn’t being used to its full potential.
“2020 has seen many behavioural changes. People needed to adapt quickly and become more digitally savvy to stay connected while we were in lockdown and social media played a big part in this.
“We know islanders are using social media, but to make the most of their social media presence brands need to understand who they’re talking to, who they want to be talking to and how best to reach them.
“Our study showed that 95% of those surveyed are using YouTube regularly, highlighting the popularity and importance of video content. People engage with this, so businesses need to ask themselves if they’re using video to reach their target audience and if not, why not?
“We enhanced our digital offering last year to meet our clients’ evolving needs. These insights into our community’s habits have shone a light on how people interact on social media and are valuable reading for brands of all shapes and sizes.”
Orchard launched its survey in Guernsey to mark Social Media Day on 30 June. The Orchard Insights Social Media Survey provides the agency with evidence-based advice for clients.
The survey ran throughout June and received more than 200 responses from people aged 16 years and over. The survey was created as only limited data on Guernsey’s social media usage existed previously.
To read the full report visit: https://bit.ly/3if5zYE